Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Holy Modal Rounders Cover Tradfolk
with today's guest host: Brendan




It is an honor to share some words on boyhowdy's page, as I am a frequent fan of his writing, and most especially, the subject at hand. When composers write a song, they undoubtedly want others to sing it, play it, reproduce it either in their mind, living room, or on record. In this sense, I couldn't agree more with the headline up above, "In the folk tradition, music belongs to the community."

The Holy Modal Rounders reinvented songs in an incredibly unique way. Their approach was as follows: "hear song, forget song, try to remember song while adding your personal wrinkles, bingo!" Material was taken almost exclusively from Harry Smith's American Anthology of Folk Music, a 1960s anthology that played a large part in the folk revival, and playfully distorted through a thick layer of irreverence and heavy drugs. In their version of Hesitation Blues, Stampfel made sure to alter a verse to "pyscho-delic shoes" (rather than "hesitation shoes"), marking the first recording with the word "psychedelic."

Though cacophonous to the uninitiated, there is something joyous in their haphazard sound. The DIY harmonies, lazy fiddle, and fingerpicked guitar magically turn in to something beautiful. Unsurprisingly, Rounder originals hold up as well as any of the warped folk numbers they chose to cover. And all their albums have my wholehearted recommendation (especially a very special record featuring the Unholy Modal Rounders, Have Moicy).

This past autumn, I went to see the screening of Bound To Lose, a new documentary about the Rounders, where Peter Stampfel (fiddle and high harmony) introduced the film. During his unforgettably eccentric speech, he unhesitatingly claimed that the Rounders had spawned the genre of freak folk. His word is good enough for me, though I can't think of any competition otherwise. See if you can hear it yourself.



You can really hear the influence of the Holy Modal Rounders in Today's Bonus Coversongs:



Brendan blogs about lost gems and overlooked classics in the genres of Garage, Country, Prog Rock, Psych Folk, and other fringe musical forms at The Rising Storm. He is also a regular contributor to blog collaborative Star Maker Machine.

11 comments:

ib said...

Excellent post, Brendan.

The only exposure I've previously had to the Rounders was 1968's "Bird Song", which of course featured to great effect in Peter Fonda's Easy Rider. The original was on their "Moray Eels Eat The Holy Modal Riders" LP on Elektra.

They also reminded me a lot of that other infamously anarchic wig-outfit, The Fugs, which made more sense than I'd expected when I subsequently read somewhere that Stempfel & Weber briefly teamed up with Ed Sanders in The Fugs sometime between 1965 and their recording of a third album, "Indian War Whoop", which I'm guessing must've been released in 1967.

It's a real treat to hear these much earlier songs from 1964.

Anonymous said...

good afternoon people. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging for that particular brand. The prices for the boots are around 220 pounds on every page. But completely I set this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

good evening fellas. I'm really into shoes and I have been looking as far as something that singular model. The prices as regards the sneakers are all over 240 pounds on every site. But for all I base this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I really like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good evening dudes. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging allowing for regarding that particular brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots were around 170 pounds on every page. But for all I base this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

hi bros. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been digging allowing for regarding that particular model. The prices due to the fact that the velcros were around 230 bucks on every site. But definitively I found this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

500 love making tips -
acid alkaline diet -
acne no more -
advanced defrag -
adware alert -
adware bot -
affiliate elite -
anti spyware -
anti spyware bot -
article bully -
art of approaching -
auto pilot profits -
bbq book -
blogging in action -
body building revealed -
burnthefat -
burn the fat -
carb rotation diet -
chopper tattoo -
conversationalhypnosis -
conversational hypnosis -
cure for tinnitus -
debt free in three -
driver checker -
duplicate file cleaner -
earth4energy -
earth 4 energy -
easy member pro -
easy tv soft -
eatstopeat -
eat stop eat -
end your tinnitus -
fap winner -
fat burning furnace -

Anonymous said...

Search engine Optimization
very handy, thanx a lot for this article -- This was what I was looking for.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't agree with it.

Anonymous said...

kyadeqkkv, xrumer mods , rrYaWPR.

Anonymous said...

I need to know ur thoughts about this guitar pack
www.lucidsamples.com